Scripture gives us numerous symbols for the Word of God, all of which have meaning. Let’s consider them.
- The Word of God is a Seed: I Peter 1:23 calls it the incorruptible seed of God’s Word. In the parable of the sower, Jesus told us that there are four kinds of hearts: 1) Wayside Heart (devil steals the seed); 2) Stony Heart (outward excitement but no root); 3) Thorny Heart (allows cares, riches and pleasures of life to choke the seed); 4) Good Ground Heart (receives with an honest heart and bears fruit).
- The Word of God is Food (Milk and Meat): Jesus said that “man should not live by bread alone but by every word of God” (Matthew 4:4). Hebrews 5:12-14 teaches us that God expects us to nourish ourselves and build ourselves up with the Word. Verse 13 talks about newborn food, i.e., the milk of the Word and verse 14 speaks of mature food, i.e., the meat of the Word.
- The Word of God is a Fire: Jeremiah said, “His Word was in my heart like a burning fire (Jeremiah 20:9). God’s Word is a purifier and purger to cleanse and sanctify us. Like Jeremiah, I have had the fire of God’s Word burn out the dross in me and prepare me for His purposes. God went on to say through Jeremiah: “Is not My Word like a fire, says the Lord?” Hebrews 12:29 also tells us, “Our God is a Consuming Fire.”
- The Word of God is a Hammer: Jeremiah 23:29 goes on to say, “…and like a hammer that breaks the rock in pieces?” If you strike a rock 100 times with no break, and you strike it again and it breaks, was it the one hit or the 101? God’s Word is like that, always working in our hearts until the breakthrough comes. Some areas require only a little time of the Word hammering away, but other areas, perhaps a few years.
- The Word of God is a Mirror: James 1:23-25 compares the Word of God with looking at our natural face in a mirror. James reminds us that it is easy to forget what we look like. Begin to see yourself as God sees you, through His Word. Philemon 1:6 tells us to “acknowledge the good things which are in us in Christ Jesus.”
- The Word of God is a Sword: As a sword, the Word has a two-fold purpose: 1) a surgical tool to divide spirit and soul and discern the thoughts of our hearts (Hebrews 4:12-13); 2) a weapon whereby we overcome the enemy (Ephesians 6:17). The Word of God is the only offensive weapon included with the armor of God. Satan knows the written Word, but he has no revelation knowledge of the Word due to being cut off from God. When you speak revelation out of your spirit, the enemy has to flee.
- The Word of God is a Lamp: Psalm 119:105 says, “Your Word is a lamp to my feet.” God’s Word is our source of direction for living. Everything that you “feel” that God is telling you should line up to the Word of God. There’s only one thing that I know is consistent all the time in my life, and that is the Word of God.
- The Word of God is a Medicine: Proverbs 4:20-22 says that God’s Word is health to all our flesh. Psalm 107: 20 says that God sent forth His Word and healed them and delivered them from all their destruction. There is healing power in the Word of God. Not just physically, but including the physical body. There is also healing for the heart and mind.
Thank You for Your Word Heavenly Father! It is forever settled in Heaven (Psalm 119:89). Give us a hunger for the riches of Your Word and may the Holy Spirit enlighten us with Truth. Amen.